One day at a time

Dear fellow parents
If you have landed here, I can pretty much understand what you are going through right now. This blog of mine is a feeble attempt to reach out to all parents and caregivers who are sailing in the same boat as me.We may be divided across different geographical locations, but our journey is pretty much the same.

Having said so, I do not want to waste any more time by lending sympathy or empathy, because you might have already received it. Now is the time for action... one day at a time.

1. YOU alone can understand and mould your child. You may think that you cannot and that your child does not understand you. But he/she does.. Do not give up.

When my daughter was 20 months old, she had a severe rash on her inner thighs which did not go away even after using dozens of ointments prescribed by the pediatrician. I always felt something is wrong with my baby's skin, because she was prone to fungal infections on her skin (at least, that is what they said) since she was hardly one year old.
This time, I took her to a dermatologist who prescribed some more lotions and a soap and also advised us to keep her in cool places only. I started using the soap and other lotions that he has prescribed and the rash seemed to vanish in a few days. I was so happy.. I have solved my kid's problem. 20 months is the time when you think that my child is depending too much on me and that I should begin potty training her, I should teach her some skills- like brushing, rinsing, directing us to the washroom when she has to go potty etc.
As a diligent mother, I started to train her and as much as I tried, the more reluctant she became. She refused to come inside the washroom, even for brushing her teeth. She started rolling on the floor and screaming and scratching me and what not. I being a fool, did not realise what she is going through.

After a day of her 2nd birthday, I sat on a stool in the washroom and was looking at her bawling her eyes out. She came close and hugged me and looked at me in way that said- I am in PAIN. I immediately understood that my daughter is communicating to me non verbally that she is in immense pain!! The eyes are the window to the soul - this is ABSOLUTELY true.
I switched her soap and she took some time to overcome her fear and started co-operating with me.

The soap healed her rash, but probably because of the medication in the soap, she suffered from pain.

Eye contact or no eye contact
Verbal or non verbal
Focus or no focus
Your child communicates with you, even without words. You just have to keep watching him/her.
Do not expect your child to react to what you said. Rather, wait for when he expresses and then you react! 

Comments